Burns Completes Building System Designs for Valley Metro Light Rail Expansions
Phoenix’s Transportation 2050 initiative involves tripling the city’s light rail system with 42 miles of new extensions, enhancing overall mobility across the “Valley of the Sun.”
Valley Metro’s 5.5-mile South Central Light Rail Extension will connect riders to South Phoenix, university campuses, and Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. A 3.2-mile Northwest Phase II extension will continue light rail service to a new I-17 park-and-ride transit center.
Both system expansions include construction of new operations and maintenance centers.
Supporting PGH Wong Engineering, Burns is providing a range of mechanical design services as part of the construction of seven traction power substations and nine signals buildings. Services include:
- Heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system design.
- Fire alarm system design.
- Battery ventilation system design.
- Cost estimates and preparation of construction documents.
- Construction field visits and special inspections.
Construction is scheduled to complete by 2024.
Image courtesy of Valley Metro.