Rail Car Assembly and Testing Facility: Hyundai Rotem USA
When Hyundai Rotem was developing plans to enter the North American railcar market, they contacted Burns to design their new assembly facility and U.S. headquarters. With over $800 million in U.S. railcar contracts and a rapidly increasing backlog, they decided to build a 290,000 square foot railcar assembly facility in Philadelphia, PA due to its proximity to the Port of Philadelphia, rail lines and interstate highways. Burns provided all engineering and construction management for the project.
Unique Items Included:
- Six 60-ton to 100-ton car lifter stations where the 85 ft. long railcar shells were lifted into position for completion of specific production tasks.
- Two 70-ton transfer tables (traversers) to allow for the lateral movement of the railcars between the seven assembly, test and storage bays.
- 1.5 miles of track inside the building to facilitate the movement of train shells.
- Overhead electrified catenary for test track and interior test stations.
- Building and site systems
- Engineering and construction management for entire project