Transportation leaders turn to Alva for guidance through the industry’s most challenging infrastructure transitions. Alva’s deep understanding of her clients is built upon 30 years of experience managing 24/7 transit operations and maintenance, overseeing capital programs, and consulting systems owners on successful zero-emission vehicle programs.
Alva previously supervised bus operations across her native Southern California — including six years at Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (LA Metro) — and held leadership roles at Montebello Bus Lines, Sacramento Regional Transit and San Antonio’s VIA Metropolitan Transit.
Alva is a vocal advocate for creating a more equitable, diverse and inclusive transportation industry. She serves as president of Latinos In Transit and sits on the American Public Transportation Association (APTA) Diversity & Inclusion Council; the Transportation Research Board’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee; and the APTA Bylaws Taskforce. Alva also serves as vice chair for both the California Transportation Association’s Inclusive Diversity Equity Association (IDEA) Task Force and the Leadership APTA Committee.
Alva has collaborated on the following projects
- San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA), Zero-Emission Bus Facilities and Fleet Transition Plan
- Placer County Public Works, Zero-Emission Bus Feasibility Study and Transition Plan
- SolTrans, Zero-Emission Bus Facility Engineering and Design Consulting Services
- Solano Transit Authority (STA), Inductive Charging Engineering and Design
- Yuba-Sutter Transit, Resilient Next-Generation Transit Facility Plan